Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch

Re: [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch
Chris Douglas wrote:
> From a technical perspective, nothing has
> been more destructive to the momentum and focus of this project than
> the perpetual backporting and development on this branch.

I'm not proposing any more back- or forward-porting than will be done
anyway.  I'm proposing we commit all the 0.20 security patches to a repo
at Apache.  This could be as simple as copying Y!'s github repo
wholesale to a branch at Apache.  Or, with a bit more effort, we can
probably apply the patches from Jira in the right order.  Otherwise,
Cloudera, Facebook and others will have to duplicate this effort.  Then
bugfix patches and releases can be made against this repo rather than
everyone having to assemble and maintain their own 0.20 security
patchset from scratch.  Everyone will be using this patchset for quite
some time.  Why shouldn't we share a repo that contains it?

Doug