MapReduce >> mail # user >> Large-scale collection of logs from multiple Hadoop nodes

Re: Large-scale collection of logs from multiple Hadoop nodes
We have similar requirements and build our log collection system around
RSyslog and Flume. It is not in production yet, but tests so far look
pretty well. We rejected idea of using AMQP since it introduces large
overhead for log events.

Probably you can use Flume interceptors to do real-time processing on your
events, though I haven't tried anything like that earlier. Alternatively,
you can use Twitter Storm to handle your logs. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend
using Hadoop MapReduce for real-time processing of logs, and there's at
least one important reason for this.

As you probably know, Flume sources obtains new event and put it into
channel, where sink then pulls it from. If we are talking about HDFS Sink,
it has pull interval (normally time, but you can also use total size of
events in channel). If this interval is large, you won't get real-time
processing. And if it is small, Flume will produce large number of small
files in HDFS, say, of size 10-100KB. However, HDFS cannot store multiple
files in a single block, and minimal block size is 64M, so each of your
10-100KB of logs will become 64M (multiplied by # of replicas!).

Of course, you can use some ad-hoc solution like deleting small files from
time to time or combining them into a larger file, but monitoring of such a
system becomes much harder and may lead to unexpected results. So,
processing log events before they get to HDFS seems to be better idea.