HBase, mail # user - Differences between ScannerTimeoutException and LeaseException during a scanner

Differences between ScannerTimeoutException and LeaseException during a scanner
Guillaume Perrot 2012-11-15, 14:46
Hi,
Similar questions have been mailed in the past, but they are not clear
enough to me, so here is a new one:
In HBase 0.90.3, when a client scanner was too slow to advance (no actual
next call within 60s), we had a nice ScannerTimeoutException in client
(UnknownScannerException in region server).
With HBase 0.92.1, when I simulate such a slow scanner I still have this
exception.

But in our production environment, scanners that used to
produce ScannerTimeoutException in HBase 0.90.3 no longer produce them
since we upgraded to HBase 0.92.1.
Instead we now have:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.LeaseException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.LeaseException: lease
'2770824890045864909' does not exist
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.Leases.removeLease(Leases.java:231)
 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.next(HRegionServer.java:2117)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor14.invoke(Unknown Source)
 at
 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.WritableRpcEngine$Server.call(WritableRpcEngine.java:364)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:1326)

I don't uderstand the workflow leading to this exception instead of a
ScannerTimeoutException, any local attempt to reproduce this problem leads
to a ScannerTimeoutException and not a LeaseException.
Any idea ?
Thanks in advance.