Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Should version in sub-project pom.xml come from the parent pom?

Should version in sub-project pom.xml come from the parent pom?
I thought that the parent pom.xml could supply the version number for
sub-projects? For example, I noticed that server/pom.xml specifies
1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.