Zookeeper, mail # dev - university lab work around ZooKeeper

university lab work around ZooKeeper
Thomas Koch 2011-07-13, 02:16
Hi,

yesterday I received an affirmation that I may do my two months (september-
october) practical university work with a ZooKeeper project. I proposed to
refactor and migrate ZooKeeper to Scala.
This'll be a purely academic finger exercise but maybe it could be of interest
for somebody else.

My plan is:

- refactor the current code base in Java, reduce dependencies between
components
- translate the code to scala syntax
- replace Threads with actors
- keep wire compatibility with ZK

It has been said in a recent discussion, that there isn't any other project
like ZooKeeper. So I think there's room for this experiment. The focus however
shifts from "don't change a running system" to "constant refactoring" as
recommended by Fowler.

Ted said in his BerlinBuzzwords keynote that there is not much focus on Hadoop
clusters up to around 20 machines. Maybe there's still use for a ZooKeeper
clone that's not tested in the thousands.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro