Hadoop >> mail # user >> Re: Hello and request some advice.

Re: Hello and request some advice.
Uhm...

Well, you can talk to Microsoft and Hortonworks about Microsoft as a platform.

Depending on the power of your laptop, you could create a VM and run hadoop in a pseudo distributed mode there.

You could also get an Amazon Web Services account and build a small cluster via EMR...

In terms of OS, Centos is free and its a solid platform for Hadoop.
You could then download Cloudera's CHDx and run it in a pseudo distributed cluster on a single node.
Lots of options...