Hadoop >> mail # general >> Naming of Hadoop releases

+
Todd Papaioannou 2012-03-18, 05:41
+
Harsh J 2012-03-18, 06:24
Re: Naming of Hadoop releases
9.22 can't be considered as 1.5 because it is the major release from 1.0 (old
0.20.x). Besides, by declaring it as 1.5 we'll be planting future confusion of
the same sort that happened around 0.20* line.

And last but not least, the same  discussion has happened in the past around
1.0 release time like http://is.gd/x1fVqu

Cos
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:41PM, Todd Papaioannou wrote:
> All,
>
> With the upcoming release of 0.23, isn't it about time that we started calling 0.23 "Hadoop 2.0" instead?
>
> While the numbering system may make sense to everyone here, to the rest of the world it's going to be hella confusing for 0.23 to come out after Hadoop 1.0 was released. Since 0.23 has MR2 in it I think that it would make sense to call it 2.0. Also, I think would really help with the brand awareness/perception of the project in the wider customer audience.
>
> I know there are some other potential releases out there too, so my overall suggestion would be:
>
> Current 1.X -> Remains 1.x (as new bug fix releases are released)
> Current 0.22 -> Gets renamed to 1.5 (if it ever gets tested and released)
> Current 0.23 -> Gets renamed to 2.0
>
> Remember, a large part of the reason for renaming 0.20.xx to 1.0 was to make project progress more understandable to the rest of the world. We should ensure we don't regress with the next major release.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ToddP

+
Todd Papaioannou 2012-03-18, 18:04