HBase >> mail # dev >> The Jenkins VMs are increasingly slow / overloaded

Re: The Jenkins VMs are increasingly slow / overloaded
I have checked with the folks here and until/unless the situation with ASF
Jenkins VMs improves, we can provide a hosted Jenkins up in EC2, in
us-west-1:

  - A m1.large instance running 24/7 hosting Jenkins

  - A pool of 5 m1.large instances serving as Jenkins slaves, managed by
Jenkins with its EC2 plugin:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Amazon+EC2+Plugin . These would
be launched on demand depending on how many concurrent executors are needed
(we'd set up a 1 executor to 1 instance mapping) and reaped when inactive.
Jenkins' EC2 plugin handles those details.

It would remain to be seen if this is better than the ASF Jenkins VMs, but
if the community is willing to try it, we'd be willing to set it up and
give out access. With EC2's IAM (http://aws.amazon.com/iam/) it's possible
to give all committers accounts for managing these resources. An m1.large
has:
    - 7.5 GiB memory
    - 4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each)
    - 850 GB instance storage
    - 64-bit platform
    - I/O Performance: Moderate

--