HBase >> mail # user >> Row Key Design in time based aplication

Re: Row Key Design in time based aplication
Hello,
Have you considered using Phoenix
(https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix) for this use case? Phoenix is a
SQL layer on top of HBase. For this use case, you'd connect to your
cluster like this:

Class.forName("com.salesforce.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixDriver"); // register
driver
Connection conn =
DriverManager..getConnection("jdbc:phoenix:localhost"); // connect to
local HBase

Create a table like this (adding additional columns that you want to
measure, like txn_count below):

conn.createStatement().execute(
     "CREATE TABLE event_log (\n" +
     "     project_id INTEGER NOT NULL, \n" +
     "    time DATE NOT NULL,\n" +
     "txn_count LONG\n" +
     "CONSTRAINT pk PRIMARY KEY (project_id, time))");

Then to insert data you'd do this:

PreparedStatement preparedStmt = conn.prepareStatement(
     "UPSERT INTO event_log VALUES(?,?,0)");

and you'd bind the values in JDBC like this:

preparedStmt.setInt(1, projectId);
preparedStmt.setDate(2, time);
preparedStmt.execute();

conn.commit(); // If upserting many values, you'd want to commit after
upserting maybe 1000-10000 rows

Then at query data time, assuming you want to report on this data by
grouping into different "time buckets", you could do as show below.
Phoenix stores your date values at the millisecond granularity and you
can decide a query time how you'd like to roll it up:

// Query with time bucket at the hour granularity
conn.createStatement().execute(
    "SELECT\n" +
    "    project_id, TRUNC(time,'HOUR') as time_bucket, \n" +
    "    MIN(txnCount), MAX(txnCount), AVG(txnCount) FROM event_log\n" +
    "GROUP BY project_id, TRUNC(time,'HOUR')");

// Query with time bucket at the day granularity
conn.createStatement().execute(
     "SELECT\n" +
     "    project_id, TRUNC(time,'DAY') as time_bucket,\n" +
     "    MIN(txnCount), MAX(txnCount), AVG(txnCount) FROM event_log\n" +
     "GROUP BY project_id, TRUNC(time,'DAY')");

You could, of course include a WHERE clause in the query to filter based
on the range of dates, particular projectIds, etc. like this:

conn.prepareStatement(
     "SELECT\n" +
     "    project_id, TRUNC(time,'DAY') as time_bucket,\n" +
     "    MIN(txnCount), MAX(txnCount), AVG(txnCount) FROM event_log\n" +
     "WHERE project_id IN (?, ?, ?) AND date >= ? AND date < ?\n" +
     "GROUP BY project_id, TRUNC(time,'DAY')");
preparedStmt.setInt(1, projectId1);
preparedStmt.setInt(2, projectId2);
preparedStmt.setInt(3, projectId3);
preparedStmt.setDate(4, beginDate);