HBase >> mail # dev >> problems with theUnsafe

+
youknowwho@... 2013-11-10, 00:24
Re: problems with theUnsafe
bq. The IBM JRE supplies Unsafe, but apparently it doesn't work

Can you give us a bit more detail (in this case, UnsafeComparer) ? Is there
a BUG associated with it ?

If there is a known procedure / test by which we can tell whether
UnsafeComparer
works or not, that would help make the decision of switching to pure Java
comparer.

Cheers
On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our WebSphere Application Server started core dumping immediately after we
> merged our hbase feature branch to our mainline.  I've tracked this down to
> Bytes use of theUnsafe.  The IBM JRE supplies Unsafe, but apparently it
> doesn't work worth a damn.  I managed to temporarily work "around" the
> issue using some AOP wizardry.  Would it be possible to add some property
> check to the static initializer to allow one to explicitly opt for the pure
> Java comparer?
>

> http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.hbase/hbase/0.94.7/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Bytes.java#Bytes.LexicographicalComparerHolder.getBestComparer%28%29
>
> thanks,
>
> -Jess