MapReduce >> mail # user >> Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

+
ac@...) 2012-11-08, 06:00
+
Sanjeev Verma 2012-11-08, 06:17
+
Harsh J 2012-11-08, 08:37
+
ac@...) 2012-11-08, 08:59
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?
Hi there,

    As per my understanding, all the code has been built and tested against
java6(sun). There are some changes between java7 and 6 and you may face
issues while running your code, like using sort with collections. I faced
the same thing when using List.sort in my code. So, it's better to go with
sun's java6. If you want to install it you can follow these steps :

1. Download the zipped file and extract it.

2. chmod +x jdk-6u37-linux-x64.bin

3. ./jdk-6u37-linux-x64.bin

4. sudo mv jdk1.6.0_37/ /usr/lib/jvm/

5. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/javac 1

6. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/java 1

7. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws javaws
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/javaws 1

Then choose which java to use :

sudo update-alternatives --config java

choose the no for java6

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Harsh,
>
> This is exactly what I am facing, I have used Ubuntu for long time, 12.04
> is the Long Term Support version (LTS),  however Oracle JDK/JRE6  is no
> longer supported in it,  "OpenJDK has sometimes a odd behavior - Alexander
> Lorenz'".  Any Ubuntu 12.04 users here to share your selections/options?
>
> Thanks
>

> On 8 Nov 2012, at 4:37 PM, Harsh J wrote:
>
> > Hi Sanjeev,
> >
> > Unfortunately, official Ubuntu repositories no longer supports Oracle
> > JDK/JRE 6. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java#Oracle_.28Sun.29_Java_6
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Sanjeev Verma
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> AFAIK, openjdk can be used to run hadoop. Why do you want to build
> hadoop
> >> from source? Get precompiled binaries and you will be ok.
> >>
> >> Also, you can install sun/oracle jdk on ubuntu. Just google for
> >> instructions, u will find plenty, like here -
> >> http://www.ubuntututorials.com/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-ubuntu-12-04/.
> >> These are for jdk 7, but you can follow the same to install jdk 6.

> and

> > --
> > Harsh J

+