MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: What is the command to see if a file is a directory or not in HDFS from bash?

Re: What is the command to see if a file is a directory or not in HDFS from bash?
The result is reported in the shell exit code, not as a textual output
from the command, just like the UNIX /usr/bin/test command.

The intended use case is something like the following Bourne/bash shell example:

if test -d /opt; then
   ... install in /opt
else
   ... install in /usr
fi

or using the /usr/bin/[ synonym available on most systems,

if [ -d /opt ]; then ...

Similarly,

if hadoop dfs -test -e something.txt; then
   echo "something.txt exists on hdfs"
else
   echo "something.txt does not exist on hdfs"
fi

-andy