HBase, mail # user - Writing unit tests against HBase

+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-18, 23:17
+
Stack 2013-06-18, 23:22
+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-18, 23:45
+
Elliott Clark 2013-06-18, 23:46
+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-20, 18:56
+
Christophe Taton 2013-06-20, 19:12
+
Varun Sharma 2013-06-20, 23:36
+
Asaf Mesika 2013-06-21, 05:28
+
Adam Phelps 2013-06-24, 21:14
Re: Writing unit tests against HBase
Christophe Taton 2013-06-24, 22:05
Hey Adam,

Here is how to use fake-hbase from Java:

final Configuration conf = new Configuration();

final FakeHBase fakeHBase = new FakeHBase();

final HBaseAdmin admin = fakeHBase.getAdminFactory().create(conf);

final HTableDescriptor desc = new HTableDescriptor("table");

desc.addFamily(new
HColumnDescriptor("family").setMaxVersions(HConstants.ALL_VERSIONS));

admin.createTable(desc);

final HTableInterface table = fakeHBase.getHTableFactory().create(conf,
"table");

mHTable.put(new Put(Bytes.toBytes("row"))

.add(Bytes.toBytes("family"), Bytes.toBytes("qualifier"),
Bytes.toBytes("value")));

FakeHBase is essentially a factory for fake HBaseAdmin and HTableInterface
instances.
Let me know if that works or not for you.
Thanks,
C.
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Adam Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 6/18/13 4:22 PM, Stack wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If I wanted to write to write a unit test against HTable/HBase, is
> there an
> >> already available utility to that for unit testing my application logic.
> >>
> >> I don't want to write code that either touches production or requires
> me to
> >> mock an HTable. I am looking for a test htable object which behaves
> pretty
> >> close to a real HTable.
> >>

> > Would this help if we included it?
> > https://github.com/kijiproject/fake-hbase/
>
> I figured I'd take a look as I was about to try using Mockito
> (https://code.google.com/p/mockito/) to try to implement unit testing of
> some of our code that accesses HBase.  The example tests in there are
> all Scala, and I'm not having much success using them in Java.  Do you
> know if there's any example Java tests that make use of fake-hbase?
>
> - Adam

+
Adam Phelps 2013-06-25, 01:04
+