From: "Andrew Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "shv hadoop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 5:14:16 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Ensuring Consistent Behavior for Alternative Hadoop FileSystems + Workshop

Thanks for the summary Steve, very useful.

I'm wondering a bit about the point on testing AbstractFileSystem rather
than FileSystem. While these are both wrappers for DFSClient, they're
pretty different in terms of the APIs they expose. Furthermore, AFS is not
actually a client-facing API; clients interact with an AFS through
FileContext.

I ask because I did some work trying to unify the symlink tests for both
FileContext and FileSystem (HADOOP-9370 and HADOOP-9355). Subtle things
like the default mkdir semantics are different; you can see some of the
contortions in HADOOP-9370. I ultimately ended up just adhering to the
FileContext-style behavior, but as a result I'm not really testing some
parts of FileSystem.

Are we going to end up with two different sets of validation tests? Or just
choose one API over the other? FileSystem is supposed to eventually be
deprecated in favor of FileContext (HADOOP-6446, filed in 2009), but actual
uptake in practice has been slow.

Best,
Andrew