Hive >> mail # user >> BNF for Hive Views

+
Stephen Boesch 2013-08-25, 20:38
+
Lefty Leverenz 2013-08-26, 04:02
Re: BNF for Hive Views
I was already well familiar with the content of the links you provided.   I
have a specific question about the BNF for views (and potentially other
ddl/dml) that does not appear to be addressed  . Thanks.

2013/8/25 Lefty Leverenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Let me introduce you to the Hive wiki.
>
>    - Hive wiki home page:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Home
>    - Language manual:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual
>    - DDL:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL
>       - Excerpt:  "A view's schema is frozen at the time the view is
>       created; subsequent changes to underlying tables (e.g. adding a column)
>       will not be reflected in the view's schema. If an underlying table is
>       dropped or changed in an incompatible fashion, subsequent attempts to query
>       the invalid view will fail."
>       - New in Hive 0.11:
>       https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-AlterViewAsSelect
>    - SELECT:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Select
>
> The wiki is still a work in progress, but you'll find more DDL information
> than in the old Hive xdocs that Cloudera provides.  Everything in the xdocs
> is in the wiki now (except for some nifty headings in the CREATE TABLE
> section, which ought to be added to the wiki).
>
> -- Lefty
>

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Stephen Boesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> It appears a bit challenging to find the BNF's for the hive DDL's.  After
>> a few google's the following popped up for cdh3 and only for a subset of
>> table creation's.
>>

>> http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/hive/language_manual/data-manipulation-statements.html
>>
>> Is there an updated and more complete DDL BNF reference?  Although my
>> present need is for views (and specifically how to impose a schema on a
>> view), the BNF for other statements would also be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> stephenb

+
Lefty Leverenz 2013-08-26, 04:18