MapReduce, mail # user - Re: Cloudera Vs Hortonworks Vs MapR

Re: Cloudera Vs Hortonworks Vs MapR
Adam Muise 2013-09-13, 18:01
I would just through an additional point on top of Shahab's excellent
summary.

To evaluate a distribution requires more than just the technical aspects of
that distribution. Even if we kept the discussion to the mailing list's
technical Hadoop usage focus, any company/organization looking to use a
distro is going to have to consider the costs, support, platform, partner
ecosystem, market share, company strategy, etc. Even if everyone behaved,
none of the topics I mentioned are appropriate for a Hadoop user mailing
list so you could not make an informed decision from a user list discussion
and you might as well give the vendors a call.

Thanks,

Adam
On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Shahab Yunus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I think, in my opinion, it is a wrong idea because:
>
> 1- Many of the participants here are employees for these very companies
> that are under discussion. This puts these respective employees in very
> difficult position. It is very hard to come with a correct response.
> Comments can be misconstrued easily.
> 2- Also, when we talk about vendor distributions of the software, it is
> not longer purely about open source. Now companies with the related
> corporate legal baggage also gets in the mix.
> 3- The discussion would be on not only positive things about each vendor
> but in fact negatives. The latter type of  discussion which can get
> unpleasant very easily.
> 4- Somebody mentioned that, this is a very lightly moderated platform and
> thus this discussion should be allowed. I think this is one of the reasons
> that it should not be because, people can say things casually, without much
> thought, or without taking care of the context or the possible
> interpretations and get in trouble.
> 5- The risk here is not only that serious repercussions can occur (which
> very well can) but the greater risk is that it can cause misunderstanding
> between individuals, industries and companies.
> 6-People here lot of time reply quickly just to resolve or help the
> 'technical' issue. Now they will have to take care how they frame the
> response. Re: 4
>
> I know some will feel that I have created a highly exaggerated scenario
> above, but what I am trying to say is that, it is a slippery slope. If we
> allow this then this can go anywhere.
>
> By the way, I do not work for any of these vendors.
>
> More importantly, I am not saying that this discussion should not be had,
> I am just saying that this is a wrong forum.
>
> Just my 2 cents (or,...this was rather a dollar.)
>
> Regards,
> Shahab
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Chris Mattmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Errr, what's wrong with discussing these types of issues on list?
>>
>> Nothing public here, and as long as it's kept to facts, this should
>> not be a problem and Apache is a fine place to have such discussions.
>>
>> My 2c.

*
*
*
*
*Adam Muise*
Solution Engineer
*Hortonworks*
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
416-417-4037

Hortonworks - Develops, Distributes and Supports Enterprise Apache
Hadoop.<http://hortonworks.com/>

Hortonworks Virtual Sandbox <http://hortonworks.com/sandbox>

Hadoop: Disruptive Possibilities by Jeff
Needham<http://hortonworks.com/resources/?did=72&cat=1>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE