Hive, mail # user - How to define a cube and do drill-down operation on hive?

Re: How to define a cube and do drill-down operation on hive?
Amr Awadallah 2009-11-14, 04:08
> It is not supported currently

That isn't entirely true, because the question it self is also a bit
ambiguous.

BI tools (ala Microstrategy, Business Objects, Cognos) are the ones that
do the OLAP functionality (drill-down/drill-up) then they pass that as
SQL to the underlying database (with the proper WHERE conditions or
JOINs needed to achieve the task at hand).

Currently the SQL generated by these BI tools isn't compatible with the
Hive QL, so if you rely on them to generate the SQL based on an OLAP
operation it will not run on Hive (even if you connect successfully with
ODBC or JDBC).

That said, if you use the free-form SQL feature in Microstrategy you
should be able to pass the query to Hive QL properly, but then you don't
get OLAP support in that case :). You will still get the ability to
"fill-in-the-blanks" for that report, and leverage the Microstrategy
charting feature or in-memory OLAP (i.e. after raw data fetched using
the Hive QL query, you can then do OLAP in Microstrategy it self based
on an in-memory cube of the data, similar to how you would do that with
a Pivot Table in Excel).

So yes, you can't do OLAP on Hive today, but that isn't because Hive QL
is missing the necessary functionality, but rather because the BI tools
on top of Hive aren't compatible with it yet.

-- amr