Hive >> mail # user >> how to select without Mapreduce after index build?

+
Hezhiqiang 2012-05-11, 03:32
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-05-11, 16:17
+
ransom.hezhiqiang 2012-05-12, 03:56
Re: how to select without Mapreduce after index build?
My understanding is that the scan of the index is used to remove splits that are known not to contain matching data. If you remove enough splits the second MR task will run much faster. The index should also be much smaller than the base table and that MR task should be much cheaper

Shrikanth
On May 11, 2012, at 8:56 PM, ransom.hezhiqiang wrote:

> Thanks Ashish
>
> the query will be split into three steps after index build.
> 1、  query from index table and get the offset.
> 2、  Move result.
> 3、  Get select result by offset.
> So I think the query will be more slow  then no index because it has more step and has two mapreduce task in query.
>
> So why index exist? No Performance improvements .
>

> Best regards
> Ransom.

+
ransom.hezhiqiang 2012-05-12, 04:49