HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Generic output key class

Re: Generic output key class
Hi Amit,

One way to accomplish this would be to create a custom writable
implementation, TextOrIntWritable, that has fields for both.  It could look
something like:

class TextOrIntWritable implements Writable {
  private boolean isText;
  private Text text;
  private IntWritable integer;

  void writeFields(DataOutput out) {
    out.writeBoolean(isText);
    if (isText) {
      text.writeFields(out);
    } else {
      integer.writeFields(out);
    }
  }

  [... readFields method that works in a similar way]
}

-Sandy