Hive, mail # user - Using hive from a remote machine to run queries

Using hive from a remote machine to run queries
Vijay 2009-08-12, 00:51
I have a simple hadoop cluster setup with a couple of machines (one master
running everything and one additional slave). I have hive configured with
the right hive-site.xml file pointing the fs.default.name and
mapred.job.tracker correctly to the master. When I run hive from the master
machine, hive connects fine and can schedule jobs fine. However, when I run
hive from a different machine, it cannot schedule jobs. It simply fails with
this error:

Job Submission failed with exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException(null)'
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver

Is there any additional configuration or security involved with getting hive
to talk to my master and schedule jobs? Everything is running fine on the
master. I can access the web interfaces for namenode, jobtracker, etc. fine
from any other machine.

Thanks,
Vijay