MapReduce >> mail # user >> HDFS disable balancing cluster

Re: HDFS disable balancing cluster
you can bring up new worker nodes without the datanode service, just the
task tracker.

these become compute only nodes that load and save all their data on the
(mostly) persistent core set.

your core machines will take a lot more network traffic if you do this; an
8 persistent & 32 transient seems a bit unbalanced. That's something to
experiment with.

The other thing you can play at for compute only nodes is the EC2 spot
market -you can bid for cluster time and get hours of it only when the spot
market matches your bid. After the first hour you continue to get that
rate, but the VM can be terminated without notice. If you bring up some or
all of your task tracker only VMs on this spot market, you may cut costs
down

-steve