Pig >> mail # user >> PigStorage's handling of InputFormat and OutputFormat

Re: PigStorage's handling of InputFormat and OutputFormat
attached a patch to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2187

Only drawback is extra copies required to make a Text().

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Daniel Dai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree tuple -> text conversion better be in StoreFunc. User may have
> better chance to reuse OutputFormat.
>
> For backward compatibility, the signature of StoreFunc.getOutputFormat
> returns a generic OutputFormat object, this is fine. However, existing
> StoreFunc use PigOutputFormat need to change.
you mean existing classes that override PigStorage.getOutputFormat() and not
PigStorage.putNext()?
Yes, they would be affected.. but fixing them is very simple, they just need
to extend putNext().
As such there is no contract regd getOutputFormat() for us to break :)

Raghu.