Flume >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Wiki vs Website

+
Brock Noland 2012-12-06, 12:27
+
Ralph Goers 2012-12-06, 17:28
+
Brock Noland 2012-12-11, 17:58
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2012-12-11, 18:20
Re: [DISCUSS] Wiki vs Website
Hi,

"...which will be released sometime, we'll get not so much content."

Using CMS patches would result in website changes as soon as they are committed.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> HI,
>
> A website, maintained through patches is in my eyes a overkill. A wiki is a living organism, someone can add receipts, best practices and such things. Others can review and work on it (if they have access). When a contributor has to submit a patch for a website, which will be released sometime, we'll get not so much content.
>
> - Alex
>
> On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Brock Noland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree with the dislike of the split between the website and the
>> wiki. I'd prefer we have all documentation on the website. Is anyone
>> opposed to moving in that direction? Regarding access, users can of
>> course submit patches as normal to update the website.
>>
>> Brock

>>> The issue is about control.  The wiki is supposed to be open for anyone to edit while the web site can only be updated by committers.  I've said several times that I'm not a fan of having the user's guide and developer's guide in the source code.  I would much prefer that they are directly on the web site and edited in the CMS.
>>>
>>> One thing I don't care for in the mrunit site is that some of the site content is on the wiki. I am not a fan of web sites that have you click on a link and you are somewhere else and all the site navigation is gone.  If they want to show wiki content they should do it in an iframe.
>>>
>>> Although I developed the web site in RST I did that because that is what was chosen for the User's Guide and Developer's Guide.  It wasn't really designed to develop web sites although it does a decent job.  Personally, I'd convert all of it to something more CMS friendly which is also compatible with the Maven PDF plugin so it is easy to generate the guides from the CMS content at any time.
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>

>> --
>> Apache MRUnit - Unit testing MapReduce - http://incubator.apache.org/mrunit/
>
> --