Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Authentication mechanism

+
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-21, 19:46
Re: Authentication mechanism
Hi Jaewoong,

I'm not sure if you have had a chance to look at the documentation:

http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl

My understanding is that a client authenticates when it connects.

-Flavio

On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jaewoong Choi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe a scenario first.
>
> 1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g. XyzAuthenticationProvider which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider option.
> 2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any ACL of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.
> 3. At this stage, any ZooKeeper client without any authInfo ( who hasn't invoked org.apache.zookeeper.ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo ) are permitted to do anything!!  e.g. It can create znodes under "/" and etc.
>
> This is what I verified with my test using zookeeper_server-3.4.3 and zookeeper-3.4.3 client library.
>
> Here come some questions.
>
> 1. Is the above scenario true?
> 2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of znode-level ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode when it comes without a valid authInfo?
>
> Regards,
> Jaewoong
+
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-26, 05:07