Zookeeper, mail # user - Zookeeper performance

+
Baskar Duraikannu 2013-07-31, 11:16
+
Camille Fournier 2013-07-31, 11:49
+
Baskar Duraikannu 2013-07-31, 22:51
Re: Zookeeper performance
Henry Robinson 2013-07-31, 23:05
So how about the following optimistic approach:

1. Read the current version of the database (stored in a znode's version
metadata). If it is even, wait and try again; even numbers mean someone is
committing and the DB might be in an inconsistent state. Then read the
state from the database your update will rely upon (user1.name, in this
instance). You must also be able to atomically read the current version
from the database as well as zookeeper, to ensure that the data is from the
version you think it is. If the DB version does not match the ZK version,
restart.
2. Once an update is ready to commit, test-and-increment the current
version in ZK to an even number, write your update to the DB, along with
the eventual version of the data (the next odd number).
3. Increment the current version in ZK to an odd number.

The even / odd distinction means that you can detect when someone else is
updating the database, since otherwise there's no way to do so atomically
with an update to ZK (so another transaction can't tell if you've finished
your update or not, and so doesn't know when to wait until).

The problem is failure - what happens if a client fails while it's writing
a transaction? Eventually someone can increment the transaction number, and
if you provide an 'undo' log before you make any changes, that client can
possibly recover from a partial commit. But at this point you need to
understand your application's requirements in much more detail than we do
to make recommendations.

In particular, your storage layer may offer sufficiently powerful
primitives such that you don't need ZK; although if it's a filesystem then
that probably isn't true.

Henry

--
Henry Robinson