HBase, mail # user - Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?

+
Dan Crosta 2013-03-17, 18:46
+
Ted Yu 2013-03-17, 20:46
Re: Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?
Dan Crosta 2013-03-17, 20:56
Ah, thanks Ted -- I was wondering what that setting was for.

We are using CDH 4.2.0, which is HBase 0.94.2 (give or take a few backports from 0.94.3).

Is there any harm in setting the lease timeout to something larger, like 5 or 10 minutes?

Thanks,
- Dan

On Mar 17, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Ted Yu wrote:

> Which HBase version are you using ?
>
> In 0.94 and prior, the config param is hbase.regionserver.lease.period
>
> In 0.95, it is different. See release notes of HBASE-6170
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dan Crosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> We occasionally get scanner timeout errors such as "66698ms passed since
>> the last invocation, timeout is currently set to 60000" when iterating a
>> scanner through the Thrift API. Is there any reason not to raise the
>> timeout to something larger than the default 60s? Put another way, what
>> resources (and how much of them) does a scanner take up on a thrift server
>> or region server?
>>
>> Also, to confirm -- I believe "hbase.rpc.timeout" is the setting in
>> question here, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Dan

+
Ted Yu 2013-03-17, 21:20