Bigtop, mail # user - BigTop : Build Targets

Re: BigTop : Build Targets
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-06-10, 20:51
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Jay Vyas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So I guess big top is a non standard project in that , although it builds
> artifacts, those artifacts can already be built from other places.

The key word here is -- they can only be built. They are not available
by default. Here's what I'm trying to say -- if today you download
the default binary convenience artifact of Hadoop 1.x, HBase 0.94.x
and Pig 0.11 you won't be able to even start the combination up.
You have to rebuild the corresponding projects in order to make
them work with each other.

> However, in addition to building artifacts, it actually tests those artifacts between
> one another - and the fact that it does this is actually one of the "major"
> artifacts - because that process does the integration testsing for the
> matrix of hadoop ecosystem tools.

I'll stick with my Linux distro analogy. We're a Bigdata management
distro. Our kernel is Hadoop and our userland is all the other projects.
We produce the packages for end users to consume and we also
maintain code that facilitates production of those packages (build,
deploy, test).

> Anyways... just thinkinng out loud while getting a feel for this awesome
> peice of work.  Very useful and wish i knew of it earlier.  after a few
> years of hadooping around and banging my head against integration ecosystems
> various components.
> Hope this helps others that are new to the big top project.!!

We're definitely lacking good documentation if you think you can help -- that
will be VERY much apprecaited!

Thanks,
Roman.