Chukwa >> mail # dev >> a more fault-tolerant collector

Re: a more fault-tolerant collector
We had problems with a single DN the other day and all collectors
ultimately died after trying N failed attempts. I believe at least one
of the failures was was during a commit.

I think backpressure sounds like the right approach, bit it seems like
there would be some practical challenges, particularly around async
writes or commits to HDFS. Ari, how does this behavior work currently,
and would this be difficult to handle?

In oahc.datacolleciton.writer.SeqFileWriter there's an exception block
with this in it:

// We don't want to loose anything
log.fatal("IOException when trying to write a chunk, Collector is
going to exit!", e);
DaemonWatcher.bailout(-1);
isRunning = false;