Pig >> mail # dev >> Storing statistics of input dataset

Re: Storing statistics of input dataset
Pig does not have a metadata store, so it doesn't store statistics on data.  However, through HCatalog it will have access to the same statistics that Hive stores.

As far as using this data to optimize Pig operations, I'd like to rework the backend to start taking advantage of such statistics when available (either from metadata like this or statistics that are generated on the fly as scripts are executed).  I also hope to share as much of this work as possible with Hive so that both can benefit.

Alan.