Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> Branch for reconfiguration (ZOOKEEPER-107)?

Branch for reconfiguration (ZOOKEEPER-107)?
This message is to throw the idea and get a sense of what people
think, especially the ones working closely on it like Alex, about
creating a branch for the reconfiguration work. The rationale for
proposing it is the following. In our experience with Zab last year,
we implemented modifications that introduced a bunch of critical bugs.
I'm not sure whether we could have been more careful, maybe so, but my
perception is that it is not unusual to introduce such bugs once one
touches upon a large chunk of core code. Perhaps it would have been
better to develop it on the side and test more before merging.

For reconfiguration, it sounds like we will be touching a big chunk of
core code again, so I wonder if it makes sense to work on a separate
branch, test, and merge once we are convinced. I must also say that I
understand that merging branches can be quite a pain, so I would
completely understand if the general feeling is that it outweighs the
benefits.

Thanks,
-Flavio