HBase, mail # dev - Re: modularizing trunk - trunk is open

Re: modularizing trunk - trunk is open
Jesse Yates 2012-05-26, 06:28
All,

Stack just committed the patch on HBASE-4336, so trunk is back open
(hurray)! Good luck weathering the download storm for trunk now - the patch
was 35M uncompressed. See earlier emails in this thread on how to update
your open patches.

The current layout has become:
hbase/
  hbase-server/
  hbase-site/
  hbase-assembly/

hbase-server is going to be refactored into hbase-common, hbase-server and
(eventually) hbase-client.
hbase-site is where all the website stuff eventually ends up (including the
doc book, and built javadocs)
hbase-assembly does all the work of building the final tarball.

For those using m2eclipse (or have eclipse Indigo or higher), you should
just be able to import the project as a maven project directly. This is the
recommended method. It might throw some errors on the initial import, but
you can ignore them - they should resolve with a couple of refreshes.

For those not using maven in their IDE, to build the eclipse project stuff,
use:
     mvn clean install -DskipTests eclipse:eclipse
This is a little wonky because we have multiple packages. Such is life in
maven.

To build the website, use:
   mvn clean package -DskipTests site

Things that have gone away:
 - old hadoop versions: now we only support hadoop 1.0.3 (Default),
2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. They are still activated the same way as
before (-Dhadoop.version=2.0)
- failsafe plugin for integration tests: initially added to help break up
testing, no longer needed with classified unit tests

You can still run in-situ from the codebase, as long as you have built the
code first. The minimum to run is:
     mvn clean test-compile
though you may need to run
     mvn clean package -DskipTests
in some cases, before calling bin/start-hbase.sh

Enjoy!

-Jesse

Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates