Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page

Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-15, 01:15

On Jun 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
> In short, an Apache Hadoop release with a backport of PMC approved
> code or critical security fix is not powered by Hadoop, it is Hadoop,
> while a new product that contains or runs atop Hadoop is powered by
> Hadoop.
>
> Reasonable?

I'd say: Security, yes.  Features, no.

The reason I say this is because there have been many, many, many posts in the -user mailing lists where people are confused as to what versions have what features because their local branch has a back ported fix.  [I think I run out of fingers if I count how many times just the mapred.map.child.java.opts was said to be "in 20" prior to the 0.20.203 release...]

This also adds pressure to do timely releases. :)