MapReduce >> mail # user >> InputFormat in mapred vs. mapreduce.

InputFormat in mapred vs. mapreduce.
In Hadoop 0.21, I found InputFormat as an Interface in package mapred, and as an abstract class in package mapreduce.  The APIs are slightly different.  Which one should I choose to extend from or implement?  How are the two packages intended to be used differently?

Thanks,
Jane