MapReduce, mail # user - Is it necessary to run secondary namenode when starting HDFS?

Re: Is it necessary to run secondary namenode when starting HDFS?
Michael Segel 2012-12-17, 17:42
Hi,

Just a reminder... just because you can do something or rather in this case, not do something, doesn't mean that its a good idea.

The SN is there for a reason. Maybe if you're on an EMR cluster that will be taken down at the end of the job or end of the day not having the SN running is OK.
Outside of that... its pretty much a good idea.

-Just saying...