Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-07-09, 03:50
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-09, 15:59
Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop
Without wanting to detract from the spirit of focussing on system
stability, I'd like to suggest a few changes I think it's time we at least
discuss seriously:

JDKs: I've seen a lot of people ask about JDK 7. Perhaps time to add
support for Oracle JDK 7? It's working pretty well in my experience, and
although it's less tested upstream, the only JDK we officially support is
officially EOL, so we're not exactly in a good position now IMO.

Debian 7 has also been out for a while, and I think we should do at least
one release on it. It's likely very little work but I think there's value
in certifying the stack will work well there. (On the topic of OS's - are
we specifically talking SP3 of SLES 11?). I don't feel strongly on this,
but I'm just curious if there's a reason you're suggesting staying with
12.10 and not 13.04 - other than wanting less change in this release?
Again, I hardly have an opinion on that one.

Other components that have recently had releases that I don't consider to
impact the
- Hue 2.4.0
- Whirr 0.8.2
- Flume 1.4.0

There's also been a ticket to package Avro for a long time and I'd like to
get to that soon. Perhaps Parquet as well? Although like Phoenix and
DataFu, I would suggest doing just the libraries for now, not all the CLI
tools.

Again - I don't mean to take away from the focus on stability, but I also
don't think we shouldn't stretch to stay up to date either.

+1 to everything else as suggested, however.

Konstantin Boudnik 2013-07-09, 17:11
+
Bruno Mahé 2013-07-09, 17:10
+