Pig, mail # user - UDF property passing

+
Jeremy Hanna 2011-07-06, 16:42
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-07-06, 17:47
+
Jeremy Hanna 2011-07-07, 02:20
+
Raghu Angadi 2011-07-07, 04:10
+
Jeremy Hanna 2011-07-07, 07:24
Re: UDF property passing
Grant Ingersoll 2011-07-08, 12:24
What is the guidance here on using member variables when implementing UDFs and passing properties?  That is, what are the semantics for using them to store properties for a UDF instance?  The docs talk a lot about making sure that no side effects happen from multiple calls to a UDF instance, but it is not clear whether that means it's doing things like changing the Location for a given instance of a UDF or just calling it multiple times.  PigStorage suggests not (since it keeps a member var location), but the UDFContext docs suggests that one keep all state in the UDFContext under an appropriate signature.

See also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2869 for another case where this has reared it's head in an improper implementation.

-Grant

On Jul 7, 2011, at 3:24 AM, Jeremy Hanna wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Raghu Angadi wrote:

>>> Thanks Dmitriy.
>>>
>>> I tried doing something like:
>>> define ToCassandraBag1 org.pygmalion.udf.ToCassandraBag();
>>> define ToCassandraBag2 org.pygmalion.udf.ToCassandraBag();
>>>

>> This still does not work since you can't distinguish the two. The way I was
>> thinking of doing this is to let user pass in some unique sting as a
>> substitute for context:
>>
>> define ToCassandraBag1 ToCassandraBag('1');
>> define ToCassandraBag2 ToCassandraBag('2');
>
> Ah yes.  I had misunderstood.  Thanks for the clarification.  Now the pig docs also make more sense in the Passing Configurations to UDFs section:
> http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.8.1/udf.html#Passing+Configurations+to+UDFs
> It says:
> "The UDF can pass its constructor arguments, or some other identifying strings. This allows each instantiation of the UDF to have a different properties object thus avoiding name space collisions between instantiations of the UDF."
> and the HBaseStorage example was helpful to see that in action.
>
> Thanks both to Raghu and Dmitriy.
>

>> inside the UDF, you would use this arg to make a 'contextString' (see
>> HBaseStorage.java for example use) to store any state.
>>
>> ideally UDFs shouldn't have to do this.. They should have the same context
>> info that is available for loaders and storage.
>>
>> Raghu.
>>

>>> at the top and then using each one only once.  That still produces the same
>>> error.  I guess in this case we'll just have to require the field names be
>>> entered into the UDF and it won't introspect them.  Ah well.  Would be nice
>>> to be able to use it but I don't really see another way around this bug with
>>> the shared UDF context.

>>> names there and use that in the exec method.

>>> https://github.com/jeromatron/pygmalion/blob/master/udf/src/main/java/org/pygmalion/udf/ToCassandraBag.java

>>> https://github.com/jeromatron/pygmalion/blob/master/scripts/from_to_cassandra_bag_example.pig

>>> user doesn't have to specify them.  However we've been noticing that if you
>>> have more than one ToCassandraBag call in a pig script, sometimes they are
>>> run at the same time and the key is the same in the UDF context:
>>> cassandra.input_field_schema.  So we think there is an issue there (array
>>> out of bounds exceptions when running the script, but when running in grunt

Grant Ingersoll
+
Jeremy Hanna 2011-07-08, 17:19
+