MapReduce, mail # user - Aborting a MapReduce job

Re: Aborting a MapReduce job
David Rosenstrauch 2010-05-04, 14:17
On 05/03/2010 07:55 PM, Ersoy Bayramoglu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user. I have a question about aborting an ongoing mapreduce job. If
> one of the mappers compute a particular value, I'd like to stop the entire job,
> and give the control back to the master. Is this possible in Hadoop?

Can't you just throw an exception inside the mapper?  I think that would
kill the job.  It wouldn't stop any job tasks currently in progress, but
presumably it would prevent new tasks from getting launched.

If that's not sufficient, and you absolutely need to completely stop all
currently-in-progress map tasks, then I think the only solution would be
to use Zookeeper.  i.e., make your map/reduce tasks periodically check
for the presence of some abort node in ZK.

HTH,

DR