HBase >> mail # dev >> Thinking about 0.98

Re: Thinking about 0.98
> My suggestion is that we limit the number of major features targeting
this version.

+1

> Can we say Tags the only Major feature that must get in and then all
major features are not blockers?

Core changes, you mean? One or perhaps two significant core changes could
be doable in the available time. Is there another besides tags/HFile V3?

What I would consider a blocker would be a usability problem, a performance
regression, or an API, wire, or data compatibility regression.

In my opinion, a new feature should be implemented within a well defined
space for that purpose: as a coprocessor, plugin, or as a feature of HFile
V3 (which I would like to make more pluggable, therefore extensible and
maintainable). I propose HFile V3 be included, marked as experimental
through the 0.98 cycle, with a feature freeze at the .0 release.

> What do you think our planned 0.96 compat story is wrt 0.98?

0.96 and 0.98 should be able to run in a mixed server side environment
while a rolling upgrade is in progress, without limits imposed on how long
that might take. Perhaps 0.98 is deployed only to one table placement group
as a trial. With the caveat that new features might introduce
complications, continuing the example, a new HFile feature is enabled for a
table and placement group so the table can't be placed elsewhere. Clients
should be able to run in a mixed version environment indefinitely.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)