Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 23:42:23 +0530
Subject: Re: Hive Group By Limitations
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi Peter,
In hive if you are running a group by, then all the select columns have to be in the group by clause. This limitation is for the column definition only and not for the column operations like count etc

All the columns for group by do go to a single map reduce job and it does not launch multiple mapreduce jobs for each group by.
I am not sure what do you mean by better way?