Hadoop, mail # general - LimitedPrivate and HBase

+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 16:45
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-06, 17:00
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 17:36
+
Stack 2011-06-06, 18:34
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 20:45
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-06-06, 23:22
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-06, 23:34
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 00:56
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:05
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 01:08
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:18
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-07, 01:23
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-07, 01:33
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-06-08, 16:17
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-06-08, 16:39
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-06-09, 16:28
+
Tom White 2011-06-09, 17:27
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-09, 17:38
Re: LimitedPrivate and HBase
Suresh Srinivas 2011-06-09, 17:56
Javadoc did not capture the intent well. Please see HADOOP-5073. We should
fix the Javadoc to avoid confusion.

Even though there are only few instances of LimitedPrivate, I prefer
retaining. I prefer to keep MiniDFSCluster LimitedPrivate and not support as
as public interface.
On 6/9/11 10:27 AM, "Tom White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looking at current usage in Hadoop, there are only 4 LimitedPrivate
> references to HBase (the http, io.retry, ipc, and metrics packages in
> Common), and 2 references to Pig (the two LineRecordReader classes in
> MapReduce). The other LimitedPrivate references are all to HDFS or
> MapReduce. Given that Private means "Intended for use only within
> Hadoop itself" (according to the javadoc), we can replace these
> references with Private.
>
> We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
> (note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
> deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'd like to see a proposal circulated to handle this concern in a
>> maintainable way.

>>> Seriously?
>>>
>>> Forget what I said about filing a JIRA (and working on it) to give
>>> HttpServer an extensibility that possibly would past muster with you.
>>>
>>>  - Andy

+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-06-09, 18:02
+