Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Logistics for releasing 2.4

Re: Logistics for releasing 2.4
Hi Vinod,

If the main point of contention is the alpha/beta/stable labeling for
features, we can just not include anything but stable features in the
proposed 2.4. This means HDFS-2832 and HDFS-4949 (along with the plethora
of other improvements that have gone in since 2.2). AFAIK the previous plan
(per Roadmap on the wiki) was a 2.4 in Jan, and since Arun said the 2.3 rc
is almost ready, I think we can squeeze out a 2.4 immediately after.
Another option (not to step on anyone's toes) is to scratch the current 2.3
branch and make HDFS-2832+HDFS-4949 the new 2.3, since the current 2.3 has
sort of lost its way as a bugfix-only release, and has diverged quite a bit
from branch-2.

As to a more frequent release cadence, it seems like so far there's a lot
of support. I think downstreams would actually appreciate more frequent
releases. HBase at least only builds against release artifacts, so they end
up scrambling whenever we drop a new release. Releasing more often will
force us to streamline the integration testing process, which in turn means
we'll do it more and reveal incompatibilities sooner. Since I'm
volunteering to RM some of these, that part of the burden goes away as well.

Overall, I'm pushing for this because I'd really like to see high-quality,
compatible releases come out of the 2.x line, and this seems like one of
the best way to make that happen. I plan to cut branch-2.4 tomorrow and
start firming things up.

Thanks,
Andrew