Accumulo, mail # dev - Backporting policy proposal

+
Christopher 2013-06-17, 17:07
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-06-17, 21:26
+
Dave Marion 2013-06-17, 22:35
+
Christopher 2013-06-18, 00:22
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-06-18, 13:50
+
John Vines 2013-06-17, 20:02
+
Christopher 2013-06-17, 20:59
+
Christopher 2013-06-17, 21:05
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-06-18, 14:53
+
Christopher 2013-06-18, 17:50
+
Keith Turner 2013-06-18, 16:05
+
Mike Drob 2013-06-18, 20:59
+
Christopher 2013-06-18, 17:55
+
Keith Turner 2013-06-18, 18:21
+
Josh Elser 2013-06-18, 15:05
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-06-18, 15:26
Re: Backporting policy proposal
Josh Elser 2013-06-18, 15:43

On 6/18/13 11:26 AM, Adam Fuchs wrote:

>>> Agree, although doesn't the transition to git alleviate the problems with
>>> order of operations?
>>>

>> I don't understand what you mean by "order of operations". If you push a
> commit in 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT that should really be in 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT, Git will
> not handle this well in terms of an accurate history.
>
> I don't really understand either -- that was mostly speculation. Doesn't
> the reliance on hashes of the patch rather than commit IDs make it
> immaterial as to which branch a patch was committed to first? Admitedly, I
> am not an expert on git.
>
> Adam

No, that's incorrect. A commit is uniquely identified by a set of
attributes which, most importantly, include the parent commit. As such,
what you would have typically (happily) done with subversion (`svn merge
-r 12345 .`) has implications to the Git history graph.

The only way to accomplish this in Git is to cherry-pick that commit
which causes multiple unique commits which apply the same changes to
content. This also makes using tools like `git-bisect` much less
effective as a bug introduced in a cherry-pick'ed commit now has
multiple points of introduction instead of a single commit.

In the downtime before we hear back from INFRA, it would be good to read
through the documentation: http://git-scm.com/documentation
+
John Vines 2013-06-18, 15:31
+