Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Discussion for (potentially) excessive Shell setiter options

Discussion for (potentially) excessive Shell setiter options
I was going to add a warning to aggregators and filters, for the setiter
shell command (for ACCUMULO-953), but it looks like a warning was already
added for aggregators, and filters are no longer available anyway.

But, after looking at it, I see that it has a crazy amount of options, and
I can't imagine that is very useful to users.

I think we need to re-think the practice of providing a separate option for
separate iterators.
The following I think are unnecessary:

-ageoff (--ageoff)
-agg (--aggregator) // already has a deprecation warning
-regex (--regular-expression)
-reqvis (--require-visibility)
-vers (--version)

because, we already have:

-class (--class-name)

I also think that if a particular iterator is really so useful that it
requires a special option, it should probably be in a separate command that
extends the setiter command, and reduces the number of options, instead of
growing the number of options (though, this has a downside, too, in that
there may grow an excess of commands).

We have an opportunity to deprecate some of these options now (with a
warning if used), before we release 1.5.0. Thoughts?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii