HBase >> mail # user >> How to know it's time for a major compaction?

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2012-12-12, 20:15
Re: How to know it's time for a major compaction?
Otis,

I think it depends on your use case.  Some use cases are extremely
dependent on locality and latency, so they will major compact any region
the balancer has moved.  Some people follow the HFile count and will
trigger a major when there are x amount of files.  Others will just follow
best practices and do it daily.  Some do very little writes and only
compact once a week.

--
Kevin O'Dell
Customer Operations Engineer, Cloudera