HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Assignment of data splits to mappers

Re: Assignment of data splits to mappers
Hey John,

I don't see the similarity. If you take the case of a normal record
file, such as a text file, you read data from the next block. That is,
n-1 blocks are "opened" twice, but not read entirely in both attempts.
In the link you refer to, a specific block will always be read by all
readers if I get the format (kinda similar to what a schemaless Avro
file reader would have to do, to read the schema out from the file
itself).

I've personally written up a few record readers and measured this in
past - in both cases the extra connection requirements proved no
problem at all and hardly take up any visible time gap, given the tiny
amount of read they do. There's also no (extra) seek required, btw,
for the extra connection. We read off the head of the block until
we've found the terminating point. Likewise for header reads from a
common block.

All that said, your worry would hold true were there a format designed
in such a way that reads were expensive to just get a little bit of
required metadata, i.e. if it kept that somewhere at an offset-pointed
location in the file. Is your format similar to such a thing?

--
Harsh J
+