Accumulo >> mail # user >> Tunneling over SSH

Tunneling over SSH
I'm trying to tunnel via SSH to a single Hadoop,Zoo, Accumulo stand-alone
installation. The internal IP of the machine is on a local subnet behind a
SSH-only firewall - 192.168.182.22.. I use static host names in all of the
config files (Accumulo, Zoo, Hadoop) that resolve to 192.168.182.22 for all
the servers. There is no problem connecting when I'm directly connected to
the subnet inside the firewall.

However, when I try to connect via the JAVA API from outside the firewall,
I get an error: Failed to find an available server in the list of servers:
[192.168.182.22:9997:9997 (120000)]. I've created a Windows Loopback
interface that allows me to forward unlimited ports directly through the
SSH tunnel to the internal network - there is no issue with connecting to
Hadoop via Java or the web interface, and I can view the Accumuoo status
page at 50095 by just setting my Windows box to resolve the hostname to the
loopback local IP -> SSH -> 192.168.182.22:50095.

I think the problem is that Zookeeper is telling my Java process to try and
make a connection directly to 192.168.22.9997. If Zoo would use the
hostname, there'd be no problem as it'd resolve to the loopback, and get
tunneled along with everything else. But since it uses the actual IP, the
Windows box won't route that back through the SSH tunnel as it considers it
a local subnet outside of the firewall.

Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution? I guess one solution
might be to 'trick' Windows into forwarding the 192.168.x.y subnet back
through the loopback (-> SSH), but I'm not seeing a good way to do that.

Thanks