Flume >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Test on Patch Available

+
Brock Noland 2012-12-07, 16:11
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2012-12-07, 16:26
+
Brock Noland 2012-12-07, 17:14
Re: [DISCUSS] Test on Patch Available
Btw I just found very interesting draft that is explaining quite huge portions of the design:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/PreCommitBuilds

Jarcec

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 11:14:13AM -0600, Brock Noland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great to hear you were thinking the same thing! I have found the
> script they use to do the checking:
>
> https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/trunk/dev-support/test-patch.sh
>
> and I think we could probably implement something similar. I agree
> that our build machines are much busier so I don't think we can use it
> as a hard requirement for commit. The biggest open question in my mind
> is how do they query JIRA for patches? Grab the correct patch off of
> the JIRA? Schedule the job to poll for these things?
>
> Brock
>
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Brock,
> > that is an excellent idea and I'm definitely in favour of that. In fact I wanted to propose something similar myself.
> >
> > However I did not quite finished my own investigation yet. It seems that this pre commit hooks are done on projects that were mostly donated by Yahoo! (Hadoop, Oozie) on Jenkins nodes named "hadoopX". The hadoop named nodes have comment "Build machine for Hadoop project builds", so I'm not sure that they are available for other projects as well.
> >
> > With removing those 9 hadoop notes, it's like 10 other nodes in total for entire Apache organization and I do know that sometimes the build queue might be quite huge. Having said that it might be good idea to ask Infra team if pre-commit hooks are available to all projects or only to projects that have "special hardware" available.
> >
> > Jarcec
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:11:53AM -0600, Brock Noland wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I like how in the Hadoop project if you mark a patch "Patch Available"
> >> jenkins applies the patch to trunk, runs the tests, and outputs the
> >> result to the JIRA. Here is one example:
> >>
> >> http://s.apache.org/qz
> >>
> >> I think we should still run tests manually before commit. However,
> >> this will often give a reviewer an indicator of whether the change
> >> breaks a test without even having to download the code.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> >> Brock

Mike Percy 2012-12-08, 08:39
+