Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Change in 'accumulo init' behavior

Re: Change in 'accumulo init' behavior
John-

I'm keenly aware that many people will want to manage users with the old
authentication system. I'm one of those people. I'm also aware of the
benefits of the changes that were made for those customers who want to
manage users outside of Accumulo. I think we can support both, but only
where the features of the two intersect. Where they diverge, we can provide
a simple transition to the internally provided authentication system's
initialization.

Personally, I think it is a *simpler* change, to make init do fewer
prompts, and a more intuitive step (given that multiple authentication
systems are permitted), to initialize the security system in a separate
command. Perhaps something like "bin/accumulo init-security". Internally,
there already existed a command to init/re-init security in Zookeeper... we
just called it explicitly during init, but it could always have easily been
called directly.

Doing this, eliminates the need to prompt and then throw away the responses
if the chosen authentication system doesn't support them. I think that is
*very* confusing to users. (I'm imagining some user with an
LDAPAuthenticator asking, "What do I need to put here?" and "Why is this
asking me for this?").

I can certainly understand keeping around the old prompts, exactly as they
were, and disregarding the responses if they don't apply (I'm not in favor
of this, but I understand it). At least that provides a consistent user
experience, even if it doesn't apply to users leveraging a newer feature.
What I don't understand, though, is the *addition* of new prompts, that
never applied before, don't really need to be applied now (is it really
useful/essential to have 'root' by another name?), and may not apply to
alternate authentication systems a user might configure Accumulo to use (it
certainly won't apply to all of them).

At the very least, we can do stuff here that makes it easier on users:

1) To make it easier on users who use the old system, don't prompt for
"root", to retain prior behavior.
2) To make it easier on users who don't use the old system, don't prompt at
all, and require them to initialize security through that other system
(this is my preference for both old and new authentication systems).
3) Alternatively, we can prompt more verbosely, as in "I see that you
haven't configured an authentication system. Would you like to setup a
password-based user database in Zookeeper?"

We can, easily enough, check the config file if we need to use decide how
to proceed.
--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii