Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Java 7 and Hadoop

+
Scott Carey 2012-04-26, 21:03
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-26, 21:39
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-26, 21:25
Re: Java 7 and Hadoop
I've seen more and more people using java 7.  We are also planning to move
to java 7 due to the eol of java 6 that Scott referenced.

What are folks thoughts on making it officially supported by Hadoop?  Is
there a process for this or is it simply updating the wiki Eli mentioned
after sufficient testing?

Thanks,
Tom
On 4/26/12 4:25 PM, "Eli Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Scott,
>
> Nice.  Please update this page with your experience when you get a chance:
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Scott Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Java 7 update 4 has been released.  It is even available for MacOS X from
>> Oracle:
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-159
>> 1156.html
>>
>> Java 6 will reach end of life in about 6 months.   After that point, there
>> will be no more public updates from Oracle for Java 6, even security updates.
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
>> You can of course pay them for updates or build your own OpenJDK.
>>
>> The entire Hadoop ecosystem needs to test against Java 7 JDKs this year.  I
>> will be testing some small clusters of ours with JDK 7 in about a month, and
>> my internal projects will start using Java 7 features shortly after.
>>

>> See the JDK roadmap:
>> http://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/resource/java_keynote/slide_15_full_size.gif
>> https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/moving_java_forward_java_strategy

+