Hadoop >> mail # general >> Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release

Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release
Hi Folks,

I'd like to start a conversation on mainline planning and the next release of Apache Hadoop beyond 0.22.

The Yahoo! Hadoop team has been working hard to complete several big Hadoop projects, including:

- HDFS Federation [HDFS-1052]
 - Already merged into trunk

- Next Generation Map-Reduce [MR-279]
 - Passing most tests now and discussing merging into trunk

- The merging of our previous work on Hadoop with security into mainline [http://yhoo.it/i9Ww8W]
 - This is mostly done, but owen and others are doing a scrub to close out the remaining issues

All of these projects are now reaching a place where we would like to combine them with the good work already in 0.22 and put out a new apache release, perhaps 0.23.  We think the best way to accomplish that is to finish the merge in the next few weeks and then cut a release from trunk.

Yahoo stands ready to help us (the Apache Hadoop Community) turn this new release into a stable release by running it through its 9 month test and burn in process.  The result of that will be another stable release such as 0.18, 0.20 or 0.20.203 (hadoop with security).  We have Yahoo!s support for this substantial investment because this new release will have a great combination of new features for small and very large sites alike:
 - New Write Pipeline - HBase support [also in 0.21 & 0.22]
 - Federation - Scale up to larger clusters and the ability to experiment with new namenode approaches
 - Next Gen MapReduce - Scaleup, performance improvements, ability to experiment with new processing frameworks

I think this effort will produce a great new Apache Hadoop release for the community.  I'm starting this thread to collect feedback and hopefully folks' endorsement for merging in MR-279 and putting together this new release.  Feedback please?

Thanks,

E14